- Last Updated on Monday, 27 October 2014 15:28
By Christen M. Stroh
On September 17, 2014, more than 50 former faculty, staff members, and administrators of the former Ginger Hill Elementary School met for a reunion, the first they've had since the school closed its doors for the last time in June of 1987.
|Rosemary Bucchianeri, Kathleen Mancinelli, Linda Cochenour, Ann D'Emedio, Susan Tegi, Jo Anna Stroh, Dottie Bewick, and Bonnie Roskov|
The reunion, planned by Rosemary Bucchianeri and a small committee, was held at the Ginger Hill Grange and began with a social hour at 2 p.m. Jo Anna Stroh led the group in a memorial service for the 28 deceased members of the Ginger Hill community with a prayer and the lighting of a candle, which remained burning for the duration of the reunion. Kathleen Mancinelli presented a slideshow full of pictures from years past, and Joyce Neidermeyer Halechko gave the invocation. Dinner was catered by Two Fine Caterers of Charleroi. Additionally, the Ginger Hill staff donated $100 to each of the two current Ringgold elementary schools.
Ginger Hill opened in 1924 and was renovated in 1964 to include a library, multi-purpose room, kitchen, health office, and additional classrooms; it was the same year the Ringgold School District was formed and Ginger Hill became a part of it. Though Ringgold School District continued to grow, Ginger Hill did not grow with the district, which merited the decision to close the building as a school and renovate it to become a bus garage for the district.
Though Ginger Hill is no longer operational as a school, the memories live on and the fun continues for those who were affiliated with it during the years that class was in session.
|Ruth Bucchianeri and Joyce Neidermeyer Halechko|