- Last Updated on Monday, 04 January 2021 04:16
For the 2020-2021 school year, numerous local businesses, representing a variety of industries, are participating in and supporting the implementation of The Challenge Program, Inc. (TCP), and workforce development in schools across Allegheny and Washington Counties.
The Challenge Program, Inc.’s mission is to build sustainable business/education partnerships while motivating students to develop the good habits required for success in school and in their future careers. The program is for all students in grades 10, 11, and 12.
TCP, in partnership with businesses, challenged students during the fall of 2020to compete in TCP’s five incentivized categories that directly link to academic and career success. The categories are Attendance, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), Community Service, Academic Improvement, and Academic Excellence. This year, TCP implemented its motivational messaging and connected students to local businesses utilizing virtual platforms in compliance with COVID-19 guidelines.
The 2020 virtual kick-off presentation included an introduction to TCP’s five award categories and presentations from business partners about careers for each active school. Businesses will continue to engage with students throughout the year in a variety of safe and socially distant work-related activities: video facility tours, virtual classroom “take-over” presentations, social media business partner campaigns, student-led Q&A’s with business representatives and virtual career days.
Supporting businesses are listed below with their sponsored high schools (located within the South Hills and Mon Valley areas) for the 2020-2021 school year. TCP is grateful to each business for their time and financial support.
- #1 Cochran --- McKeesport CTC and Steel Center for CTE
- Carpenter Powder Products --- Keystone Oaks High School
- Highmark --- Clairton City High School
- Progeny Systems --- West Mifflin High School
- Riverside Care Center --- McKeesport High School
- Saint Francis University --- Seton LaSalle Catholic High School
- Auma Actuators --- Canon-McMillan High School
- cfsbank --- Ringgold High School
- COE Distributing --- California High School
- Dynamet Incorporated --- Washington High School
- Hormann Flexon LLC --- Burgettstown High School
- Progeny Systems --- Charleroi High School
- Washington Financial Bank --- Western Area CTC
The Challenge Program, Inc. is always looking for businesses interested in strengthening their community by supporting the good habits and career readiness of high school students for the future of Washington County. Call Sara Deyarmin Jones, Director of Program Development at 814-533-7401 x103.