- Last Updated on Saturday, 01 December 2018 03:07
The Bethel Fife and Drum Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution celebrated its 40th Anniversary on October 20, 2018. The chapter also dedicated its new home and meeting space in the Bethel Park Historical Society’s School House Arts and History Center.
The Chapter sponsored the restoration of a classroom in the historic 1905 Bethel Township School. In 1990 the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation designated the unused building as a Historic Landmark. In 1996 the Bethel Park Historical Society acquired the building for $1 from the Bethel Park School District. In 2016 the society began a capital campaign to restore the building to become a community hub. The chapter presented a check to the Historical Society in October 2017 to restore a classroom and the chapter dedicated its new meeting place one year later.
Under the guidance of Independence Middle School Principal David Muench, students designed and crafted a dedication plaque to be hung in the Bethel Fife and Drum Chapter sponsored room.
The Bethel Fife and Drum Chapter, NSDAR is a non-profit, non-political volunteer women’s service organization whose members live in the South Hills/Canonsburg area. The DAR is dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American history, and securing America’s future through better education for children. Each of its members has traced her ancestry to an American Revolution Patriot.
For more information about the chapter, their work or how to become a member, visit bethelfifeanddrum.org.