- Last Updated on Sunday, 01 June 2014 01:55
When you ask someone who has received medical care at Monongahela Valley Hospital about the quality of their care, one of the first comments you will hear is "the nurses are so compassionate." It takes a special type of person to be a nurse and MVH hires men and women who are among the best in their profession.
|Mary Lou Murt (right), senior vice president of Nursing, presented the 2014 Cameos of Caring® Award to Mary Youger, RN, (left) Emergency Department|
In celebration of National Nurses Week, May 6-12, MVH hosted a breakfast to honor its nurses. During the event, Mary Lou Murt, senior vice president of Nursing, presented the 2014 Cameos of Caring® Award to Mary Youger, RN, Emergency Department (ED).
This prestigious award is presented annually by the University of Pittsburgh's School of Nursing to honor exceptional bedside nurses who work in acute care hospitals. Nurses throughout Western Pennsylvania nominate their co-workers who demonstrate excellence in nursing care, serve as advocates for patients and families and embody the essence of the nursing profession.
"I am so proud to work here — I work with the finest group of people," Ms. Youger said through tears. "Thank you from the bottom of my heart."
She said that she became a nurse because she enjoys providing care to people and making a difference in their lives.
The medical staff then presented each Cameos of Caring nominee with a gift before the awardee was announced. Fifteen other MVH nurses were nominated for the Cameos of Caring Award.
The 2014 nominees include:
• Jill Barney, RN, 6-East
• Barbara Bargiband, RN — Behavioral Health
• Becky Caldwell, RN — 5-East, The Orthopedic Institute
• Stephanie Clingenpeel, RN — 7-West
• Tina Daerr, RN — Coronary Care Unit
• Jessica Fitch, RN — Mon-Vale Oncology
• Shannon Hampsay, RN — Intensive Care Unit
• Michele Haftman, RN — Radiation Oncology
• Shannon Hartman, RN — 4-Progressive Care Unit
• Julie Henry, RN — Operating Room
• Amy Molish, RN — Same Day Surgery
• Amanda Overend, RN — 5-West (Rehabilitation)
• Amy Perkins, RN — 6-West
• Wendy Rock, RN — 3-Progressive Care Unit
• Kelley Ulery, RN — 7-East (Med/Surg – Oncology)