Business & Merchant
- Last Updated on Sunday, 01 September 2019 01:47
The Monongahela Area Chamber of Commerce recognized The City of Monongahela as their August Member of the Month. The city of Monongahela is celebrating their 250th anniversary in 2019.
|Some Monongahela City Employees and Mon Area C of C Representatives|
Originally called Parkinson's Ferry, then Williamsport, and finally Monongahela City, this town is the oldest settlement in the Monongahela Valley and one of the most historic.
Monongahela dates its origin from April 17, 1769 when William Nowland, Peter Froman, and James Linnes purchased tracts of land at the mouth of Pigeon Creek on the Monongahela River, from a land office in Philadelphia on the strength of a 1768 treaty with the Indians. The land was divided into three areas: "Eden", which encompassed Monongahela's first ward from south of the city line to Factory and Walnut Streets was claimed by Nowland; "Paradise" (also spelled Paradice), north of "Eden" and bounded on the north by Pigeon Creek, went to Linnes; while "Gloucester", encompassing the area from Fourth Street to Dry Run Road and from Sheridan Street to the riverfront, was purchased by Froman.
"Eden" was later owned by Major James Warne, who was the son-in-law of Joseph Parkinson. It is Parkinson, one of five brothers, who is officially credited with being Monongahela's founder.
Monongahela changed from a borough form of government on March 24, 1873 when it was incorporated as a City. The City was incorporated as a City of the Third Class on September 30, 1912, when the Councils were consolidated, and the office of Controller was established.