- Last Updated on Friday, 28 October 2022 21:19
Among the many items that the Donora Historical Society has in its collection are over 125 basketball and football games of Mon Valley teams from 1955 to 1979. They are original 16mm films that are mostly converted to DVD (104 out of 125). We launched the project in 2015 to start to transfer the films to DVD to not only get them in a usable format to be added to our artifact collection and our presentation offerings, but to get these games in the hands of the players that played in them some 35 to 65 years ago. Some games feature extensive footage of parent’s nights, football coaches, cheerleaders and bands. Most games sell for $25/game plus S&H.
For games that have yet to be converted, there is a cost to transfer to DVD that includes a copy charge. This charge can range from $40.00 to $70.00 depending on the game's length. If you are interested in a particular game that hasn't been converted, please let us know by sending an email.
As you can see below in our inventory list, all of the Mon Valley teams are represented in most years.
Some of the legendary Donora players include Larry Crawford, Malcolm Lomax, Bernie Galiffa, Ken Griffey, Art Coleman and Ulice Payne.
Other notable players such as: Fred Cox (Monongahela); Gary Seykoski and John Radic (Ringgold); Larry Hughes and Ken Burkes (Rostraver); Gary Cramer and Gene Belczyk (Belle Vernon); Jeff Petrucci and George Carlock (Charleroi); Marvin Davis, Joe Zdravecky and Lance Wall (Monessen); Jim Brumfield (Elizabeth Forward) and Jack Ham from Johnstown’s Bishop McCort to name just a few.
Some teams have multiple games per season. The high school teams from the Mon Valley that have at least one game in a given season include:
· Donora: 55-56, 62-63, 63-64, 64-65, 65-66, 66-67, 67-68, 68-69
· Charleroi: 63-64, 65-66, 66-67, 67-68, 68-69, 69-70, 70-71
· Rostraver: 63-64, 64-65
· Belle Vernon: 65-66, 66-67, 67-68, 68-69, 70-71
· Monongahela: 55-56, 57-58, 58-59, 64-65, 65-66, 66-67, 67-68, 68-69
· Monessen: 63-64, 64-65, 65-66, 66-67, 68-69, 69-70, 70-71
· Clairton: 63-64, 64-65, 65-66, 66-67, 67-68, 68-69, 69-70, 70-71
· Elizabeth Forward: 63-64, 64-65, 65-66, 66-67, 67-68, 68-69, 69-70, 72, 77
· Brownsville: 63-64, 65-66, 67-68, 69-70
· Mon Valley Catholic: 65-66, 78, 79
· Thomas Jefferson: 66-67, 67-68, 68-69, 69-70
· Ringgold: 69-70, 70-71, 72, 73, 75, 76, 77
Please consult our website and select the “Game Films” tab for a complete inventory. Please email us at DonoraHistoricalSociety@gmail.com or call us at 724-823-0364 and leave a message with any questions.
All proceeds benefit the Donora Historical Society in completing this project.
If you have additional questions about the subjects mentioned above, the historical society, museum, presentations or possibly volunteering, feel free to stop by on Saturdays or by special appointment (with at least a week’s notice), email us at DonoraHistoricalSociety@gmail.com, call us at 724-823-0364 and leave a message, visit us on the web at www.DonoraHistoricalSociety.org, or follow us and Like Us on Facebook at “Donora Historical Society and Smog Museum.”