- Last Updated on Thursday, 30 January 2020 17:29
Union Township made the following announcements.
Union Township Receives $ 500,000 LSA Grant for Public Sewage
Union township has been notified that it will be awarded a $500,000 LSA grant to be applied to a sewage system servicing an area including Mingo Church Road and Mingo Circle. The area has been long-neglected due to the location and land topography presenting challenges for installation of a public sewage system. Failure of existing resident-owned septic systems in the Mingo Circle area and improvements in sewage system technology along with DEP overview has resulted in a design developed over the past several years that is currently under DEP review for approval. High cost to the Township and residents which may have been a deterrent will be eased by the LSA grant just awarded.
This grant along with an earlier DCNR grant of $ 49,900 for development of a recreational park in Elrama and a $66,400 grant for modernization of the Municipal Building Rest Rooms, are evidence of the Board’s continuing efforts to secure state and federal grants.
Planned Residential and Commercial Development
• Planning continues for the 104 unit PRD on old Mineral Beach property being developed by Debra and Joseph Lisanti and NVR Inc. to be accessed by Walter Long Road.
• On the East side of State Route 88 design and permitting work is continuing for the Hidden Hollow PRD proposed by Scarmazzi Homes (100 plus homes). Scarmazzi Homes is seeking a PennDOT grant for modifications to State Route 88 (turning lanes).
• Solicitor Sweat is studying rezoning options that would permit construction of an office and warehouse facility in the Northwest corner of the township. An expression of interest and a very preliminary plan was presented at the most recent Planning Department meeting.
Union Township Reorganization
The January reorganization of The Union Township Board and Administration contained only a few surprises for residents. Below are the appointments.
• Secretary/Project Manager - Mr. James Donahoe
• Road Superintendent - Mr. Ken Puglisi
• Zoning/Code Enforcement officer - Ms. Linda Roach
• Engineering: - Harshman CE Group
• Township Solicitor - Mr. Gary Sweat
• Planning Department Solicitor - Michael Cruny
• Special Council Z/H Board - Mr. Steve Taczak
• Township Auditor (1) - Mr. Larry Spahr
• Township Auditor (2) - Mr. Matthew Sarbak
• Township Auditor (3) - (vacant)
• Animal Control Officer - Ms. Kym Secreet
• Vacancy Board Chairperson - Mr. Paul Calderone
• 2019 DCED Auditor - Kathy Houston & Associates
• Earned Income Tax Collector - Keystone Collections
• Local Services Tax Collector - Keystone Collections
• Sewerage Enforcement - Washington County Sewerage Council (WCSC)
• Union Twp. Representative (WCSC) - Mr. Richard Lawson
• Voting Delegate to the State Conv. - Mr. James Donahoe
• Alternate Delegate to the State Conv. - Mr. Charles Trax
• Emergency Management Coordinator - Mr. Leonard Baily
The continuing Supervisor Board seats and positions on the Board are as follows:
Mrs. Heather Daerr - Chairperson
Mr. Charles Trax - Vice Chairman
Mr. Richard Lawson - Township Treasurer
Mr. Paul Chasko - Board Member
• Mr. Robert Dooley’s appointment term has ended. The Board vacancy will be filled by appointment. Applications for the position to be filled by appointment are being solicited.
• Accounting services and other financial consulting will be provided by Frank Palermo of Palermo/Kissinger & Associates under contract with the Township.
• Appointed depositories for Twp. Funds will be: Brentwood Bank, Key Bank, PLIGT, and PNC Bank.
• Various other bonding, fees, schedules etc. were approved or denied and can be viewed in the minutes of the reorganization meeting.
New Permanent Employees
Mrs. Linda Roach was hired as a part-time employee of Union Township. She had been a temporary employee through the summer and fall months of 2019. Her employment will begin immediately on her release from the temporary employment agency. Her primary responsibility will be as the Union Twp. Code Enforcement Officer with secondary duties as Assistant Secretary/Treasurer.
Mr. James Donahoe has been hired as a full-time Union Township employee in the position as Township Secretary with secondary duties as Project Manager. In this capacity he will be responsible for the day-to-day administration of the normal business operations of Union Township and communications between the Municipal Departments and the Board of Supervisors. He will continue to provide overview of ongoing projects In the Township.