- Last Updated on Thursday, 07 June 2018 16:49
For those of you unable to attend regular township Board meetings, attached are bullet points on the current status ofsome of Union Township’s ongoing projects! For a more detailed explanation, and additional items, please visit the township website uniontwp.com to refer to recent meeting minutes.
- Union Township is one of four municipalities who are in the process of exploring a joint grant application with the potential of securing an approximate $12.6 million dollar multi-jurisdictional grant. The grant money, (an accumulation of penalty dollars Sunoco Pipeline was assessed for permit violations), if obtained, could be potentially used for storm water control and management amongst the four communities.
- A flood mitigation public workshop took place and identified critical problem areas that may be contributing to the flooding. Next steps are being implemented - examining and determining the problem, then, working towards a resolution. The Board has discussed cost and time valuations resulting from long-term accumulated and unaddressed issues.
- A DREAM public workshop took place to discuss the public’s interest in potential growth opportunities, and a direction towards that goal.
- A task force was created and met with the Ringgold School Board to discuss the former Ringgold Middle School. Union Township is waiting for a determination from the School Board on their decisions/plans for the former school.
- 2017 DCED Audit and forensic audit was performed by Maher Duessel and available at the Township Building following a standard Right to Know request.
- EQT has formally filed a Conditional Use Application to begin construction of the Caton Drill Pad and Wells. Conversations have taken place in regards to EQT potentially upgrading some of Union Township’s most dilapidated roadways.
- Jefferson Hills Ambulance (now SouthEast Regional EMS) is no longer staffing the Ambulance Bay that was built to house the EMS in 2013 by a prior board. SouthEast Regional did not have enough call volume needed in Union Township to justify manning the bay 24/7. SouthEast Regional has not been staffing the bay for quite some time, which explained the concerns some area residents had in regards to response time. The current Board had to make quick decisions regarding use of the bay to justify the cost and expense of its original construction. The Board has allocated the space with a 1/3 split between Elrama Fire Company; Union Road Department; and a secure location for Monongahela City Police offices. The Board is currently discussing other options for Union Township Ambulance response times.
- Jack and Jason Bridge repair is completed.
- Ridge Road Culvert is in disrepair. A steel plate, donated by Rick Lawson, has been placed as a temporary fix. The Board is discussing next actions.
- Spring paving and drainage projects are upcoming. Roadways being discussed for repair are Gilmore Culvert; Lobbs at Aber Culvert; Stonebridge/Stonebrae; Coal Bluff; and Jason Street.