- Last Updated on Thursday, 01 May 2014 01:53
By Paul Chasko
Margaret Hunter, long-time secretary of the Ginger Hill Grange, was presented with the "Granger of the Year" award at the April 14th Open House.
|Grange Master Sally Holets (left) presents a commemorative plaque to Margaret Hunter, longtime Grange secretary.|
Margaret was presented with a corsage, commemorative plaque, roses and a beautiful hand-painted serving dish by Grange Master, Mrs. Sally Holets. She joined the other members and some of her family members and other guests at dinner in the Grange Social Hall.
The Ginger Hill Grange began in 1912 when 56 like-minded residents organized and applied for a charter. The charter members purchased an acre of ground along State Route 136 and began construction of a building in 1914. The first meeting was held in the building in 1917. The frame structure in use today looks much as it did externally in 1917, although many improvements have been made to modernize the interior.
The membership chooses several worthy projects each year and raises funds to carry them to conclusion. The list of benefactors of their charitable work includes food banks, individuals having serious health issues, missions, scholarship programs, emergency response groups – the list goes on and on. Their benefit spaghetti dinners alone have netted over $67,000 and there are few area folks who've not noticed their funnel cake trailer, another fundraising tool, at community events.
The Ginger Hill Grange has spent over 100 years helping individuals and organizations in need in our surrounding community. The present membership is carrying on the tradition and promises to carry it into the future. To do this, a new influx of younger members is needed. If interested in becoming a member, call Sally Holets at 724-258-6741.