Join Our Mailing List!
Latest News:
Air Force Recruiting Efforts Ramp Up in South ... -- "By Matthew Peaslee The Steel Airmen of the 911th Airlift Wing say they offer ..." -- 09 April 2021
Belle Vernon Library Holds Library Week Raffle -- "National Library week will bring a free chance for patrons of the Belle Vernon ..." -- 09 April 2021
West Newton Pool Seeks Lifeguards and Concession ... -- "The West Newton Pool is looking for concession stand workers and lifeguards for ..." -- 09 April 2021
Port Vue United Methodist Christian Preschool ... -- "Port Vue United Methodist Christian Preschool is accepting registration for 3 ..." -- 09 April 2021
Stuffed Pork Chop Fundraiser in West Newton -- "The West Newton Community Pool is having a Stuffed Pork Chop Fundraiser on ..." -- 09 April 2021
Donora Historical Society Has High School Sports ... -- "Football and Basketball Games Dating Back to the 1960’s HIGH SCHOOL ..." -- 09 April 2021
Monessen Awarded State Grant to Tackle Blight -- "Thanks to a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic ..." -- 09 April 2021
Jewelry and Book Sale at West Newton Library – ... -- "The West Newton Library will be holding a Jewelry and ‘Fill a Bag’ ..." -- 09 April 2021
Bradford House Historical Association Announces ... -- "The Bradford House Historical Association, located in Washington, PA has ..." -- 06 April 2021
Stella Stachura Sowal Scholarship Established to ... -- "By Lois Thomson  The life of a dedicated, hard-working mother is being ..." -- 06 April 2021

Home & Garden

According to the Centers for Disease Control, more than 400 people die each year and 50,000 are seen in emergency rooms due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. In many cases, this is caused by faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented appliances such as furnaces, stoves, generators, water heaters and fireplaces. As people spend more time indoors over the winter months, Peoples is issuing a reminder about maintaining natural gas appliances, the importance of carbon monoxide detectors and the potential dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and potentially dangerous gas produced when fuel is burned without enough air for complete combustion. The flame in gas appliances should be blue, possibly with flecks of orange. If the flame is mostly yellow, it indicates that the gas is not burning properly and could be giving off carbon monoxide.

During cold weather months, as buildings remain closed and fuel is burned for heating, inefficient combustion and poor ventilation can lead to a build-up of carbon monoxide indoors. In large amounts, the gas can cause headaches, unconsciousness, brain damage and even death. Carbon monoxide can be detected with a simple home monitor.

“Every winter we receive multiple service calls involving carbon monoxide. The calls come from neighborhoods of all ages and income levels throughout our territory. Commercial accounts and businesses also need to train their employees on the dangers and how to identify a possible CO situation,” said Barry Leezer, Sr. Director, Customer Operations for Peoples. “Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. I can’t stress enough how important it is to be educated about the symptoms.”

The signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can often mimic flu symptoms. It’s important for people to recognize the signs of potential carbon monoxide poisoning, to know what to do if they occur, and to learn how to prevent this dangerous hazard.


Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

• Headaches

• Drowsiness/fatigue

• Nausea

• Dizziness

• Confusion

• Irregular breathing or shortness of breath

• Overall paleness

• Blurred vision

• Very red lips and ears

• Loss of coordination

• Vomiting

 

What You Should Do:

• Open windows and doors

• Move outside

• Call 911 or your local fire department

 

Steps You Can Take to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

Most importantly, install a battery-operated or plug-in carbon monoxide detector, positioned outside of bedrooms. Replace the battery when you change your clocks each spring and autumn.

• Have your heating systems and vents checked annually by a certified contractor

• Make sure your chimney is cleaned periodically and free of obstructions

• Keep air vents for your gas appliances clear

• Never use a gas oven or stovetop for heating your home

• Do not use portable charcoal or propane grills indoors or in the garage

• Do not run an automobile, gasoline engine or generator in an enclosed space

• Use only space heaters that are approved by local fire codes and properly installed

• Check fireplaces for closed or blocked flues

• Periodically check range pilots for soot or carbon build up

• Never use portable generators inside homes or garages, even if windows are open

RealEstate270x64

 

MESSENGERWEBAD

Pizza Station

PaVendors-web-ad

Mon Valley Hospital

  • Prev
  • Featured Advertisers
Scroll to top