Food & Dining
- Last Updated on Monday, 29 September 2014 21:29
(NAPS)—According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, kids aren't getting nearly enough fruits and veggies in their daily diets, but you can help yours get the nutrients they need—and like it.
There are a number of ways to make getting proper nutrition fun, whether kids are eating at home or are back at school, suggests the United States Department of Agriculture. Here are a few:
Families can now avoid the “eat your vegetables” meltdown with the help of a nutritious fruit-and-veggie drink.
• Kids love to dip their foods. Whip up a quick dip for veggies with yogurt. Fruit chunks go great with a yogurt and cinnamon or vanilla dip.
• Make your own pizza. Use whole-wheat English muffins, bagels or pita bread as the crust. Have tomato sauce, low-fat cheese and cut-up vegetables for toppings. Warm the pies till the cheese melts.
• Put melon chunks in the freezer or make "popsicles" by inserting sticks into peeled bananas and freezing.
• Since many children simply don't enjoy the taste of vegetables, parents can turn to a line of high-quality fruit-and-veggie blend beverages, each containing one combined serving of fruits and vegetables. The brand, good2grow, offers a tropical fruit medley and strawberry kiwi veggie that have the wholesome goodness of carrots, beets and apples.
By striving to create a strong foundation for smart eating habits now, the company believes it will help shape children's attitudes toward healthy foods and beverages.
In addition to the blends, there's apple juice, organic apple juice and fruit punch—which gets apples, pears and grapes to team up to create a flavorful juice that will leave kids refreshed—all made with 100 percent juice.
The beverages provide age-appropriate nutrition based on guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics. There's no added sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. Additionally, they are also non-GMO and BPA-free in colorful, recyclable packaging.
Each four-, six- or eight-ounce bottle is fitted with a patented spill-proof SippaTop™ cap featuring characters from Disney, Marvel, Warner Brothers, Mattel, Hello Kitty, American Greetings, Nickelodeon and HIT Entertainment.
For further facts and tips, visit the good2grow Facebook page or www.good2grow.com.