- Last Updated on Thursday, 30 November 2017 04:27
Rep. Bud Cook (R-Washington/Fayette) announced that the Department of Education has awarded more than $104,500 in Safe Schools Grants to school districts in the 49th Legislative District.
“These grants are an important component in making schools safer for our children and teachers who deserve a safe haven in which to learn and teach,” said Cook. “How these funds are used will be determined by the needs of each individual school district. Basic guidelines are in place, but which measures they choose to implement is completely up to them.”
District 49 school districts receiving these grants are as follows:
- Charleroi School District – Safe Schools School Police/Resource Officer Grant – $45,753.
- Charleroi School District – Safe Schools Equipment Grant – $20,000.
- Intermediate Unit 1 (serving Fayette, Greene and Washington counties) – Safe Schools Equipment Grant – $20,000.
- Mon Valley Career and Technical Center – Safe Schools Equipment Grant – $18,799.
Safe Schools school police/resource officer grants last for two years and are intended to be used for the training and compensation of school resource officers and school police officers.
Safe Schools equipment grants assist schools in reducing unnecessary student disciplinary actions and promote a climate of greater productivity, safety and learning. In addition, the funding assists schools in procuring the resources and training necessary to create a physical environment that fosters the safety and well-being of students and staff.