Join Our Mailing List!
Latest News:
South Park “Friends” Fall Book Sale Is Here -- "The Friends of South Park Township Library annual fall book sale is here, ..." -- 30 September 2017
Peters Creek Historical Society Plans Program on ... -- "The Peters Creek Historical Society welcomes Mr. Clay Kilgore as their guest ..." -- 30 September 2017
Monongahela Mother's Club Celebrates 115-Year ... -- "The Monongahela Mother's Club will hold their October meeting at Hoss's ..." -- 30 September 2017
South Park Theatre Closes Out Season with ... -- "By Christen M. Stroh South Park Theatre is closing out their main-stage ..." -- 30 September 2017
"Holly Days" Christmas Craft Show in Claysville ... -- "A "Holly Days" Christmas Craft Show will be held on Saturday, November 4 at the ..." -- 30 September 2017
Bethel Park Community Day and Car Cruise Bring ... -- "The Bethel Park Community Day, held on September 9, brought friends and ..." -- 30 September 2017
Saint Elizabeth Elementary School Hallo-Boo Cash ... -- "Saturday evening, October 28, in the Saint Elizabeth Parish gymnasium, a ..." -- 29 September 2017
Soup Cook-Off at the Pleasant Hills American ... -- "There will be a soup cook-off at the Pleasant Hills American Legion Post 712, ..." -- 29 September 2017
Smithton American Legion Post #790 Recognized as ... -- "Len Dulik, the Commander of the 31st District American Legion, Department of ..." -- 29 September 2017
South Hills Interfaith Movement Earns Charity ... -- "South Hills Interfaith Movement (SHIM) earned a four-star rating from Charity ..." -- 29 September 2017

The April meeting of the CAHS, Inc. was privileged to have Washington County Historical Society Director, Clay Kilgore, do a presentation on Charleroi Area Stone Quarries, one located near the North end and one on the south end of town.

Stone2
Old map showing early stone quarries

Program President Ken Thompson introduced Kilgore, who talked about how the inter-marriages of the early township families were interconnected with the businesses of the day. Kilgore’s research revealed that Parker Scott Sphar had the earlier stone quarry in the old Allen Township, now the Mapleview/Twilight Hollow area, and it operated from at least the early 1860s into the 1890s. Sphar appeared to become partners with James S. McKean, one of Charleroi's founding fathers. Sphar died in 1895.

Kilgore utilized old maps such as the 1856 Barker and the 1876 Caldwell maps to pinpoint where the Sphar quarry was as well as the one that later was established at the North end of Charleroi as it became a boomtown.

After Kilgore's presentation, there was much discussion about this new-found history. Some of those in attendance actually knew additional information, which Kilgore greatly appreciated. He asked that anyone who has any further information or pictures about the local Charleroi Area stone quarries to please call and leave a message at 724-483-4961 (the CAHS, Inc./the historic Goaziou Print Shop).

feldserad

 

Filipponi webad

RealEstate270x64


cooked goose web banner ad 

Bartons Bake shop banner

PaVendors-web-ad

Trinity 275

Slagle 275

Mon Valley Hospital

  • Prev
  • Featured Advertisers
Scroll to top